måndag 26 juli 2010

Timing time!

Lately I've been assembling everything back onto the engine. It required some detective work to get the timing on the pump right. I mounted the belt wheel from the 1Z on the Landy pump and thought that the timing position would be the same. Oh no...
The timing was terrible and when I went back home to eat some late night dinner I did some googleing and then I found some clips on a very-known-tube-site when a guy changed timing belt on a Landy, the angle of the pump was really weird and got my attention. Back in the garage I checked the Landy wheel mount disc (the LR has a movable wheel for timing, the VW has a fixed wheel and a moveable pump instead) and there was a clear sign where the woodruff key had been and it was totally different from the VW.

 It all ended up with the timing being 180 degrees off from the VW pump. The woodruff key is now pointing straight towards the old VW timing hole on the bracket, and the timing hole in the belt wheel is totally opposite.
EDIT 27/7: This was all wrong, the pump was 180 degrees of! See later posts for correct info! 

I did a temporarly timing tool with a long soldering pin and my electronic calliper. Worked like a charm!


2 kommentarer:

  1. Hello and congratulations for your projects. I have a T3 Caravelle, 1990, 1z motor. I bought Landy pump 300Tdi - 460 414 099. Hole we increased the pump bracket on the block. Now I have a problem. I do not know how to use the gear wheel pump shaft. I removed the small pulley with 3 holes. 1z wheel to fit on the shaft? I need to change something about it? Thanks ...my e-mail : tanase@oldteam.ro

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi Yo,
    Sorry for the late reply. I always post to the blog from my mobile so I rarely check the blog for comments. Yes, you should use the 1Z pulley. Some people remove the key (the small locking pin) between the shaft and the pulley, that makes it possible to use the original timing positions. I prefer to re-calculate the timing instead without the old positions. Feels better to have a key.

    SvaraRadera