söndag 3 juli 2011

TDI starter for T25/Vanagon adapter

I've made an adapter for a TDI starter to the 091 diesel bellhousing. The TDI starter exists in two different versions, I use the one in the picture, taken from a Golf -94 (1Z engine).
My adapter is 12 mm in thickness, half an inch (12.7 mm) will also work.

I also took the TDI starter apart and cleaned it and re-lubricated the planet gear. What you never should do is putting oil or grease on the solenoied inside. When it's cold outside it's enough to lock the steel cylinder and the starter will not initiate. 5-56, WD40 or similar at maximum. My local car electric guy recommends graphite powder.


7 kommentarer:

  1. Hi! Thanks for a great info on using TDI starter on T3. I'm no in the same boat and want to replace the starter in my T3. How did you made the starter to move in the opposite direction? AFAIK the starter on regular TDI-engine cars is located in the engine side no the gearbox side, therefore bendix and starter move in clockwise not anti-clockwise.... any comments?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. There is an adaptor at Brickwerks in UK that apparently fit better and without the need to recess the left side hole.

      Radera
  3. Well I can't comment if it fits better or not, but I can say that my version fits perfect. They've made a "countersink" for the entire starter instead. ;)

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hi Sven,
    as I'm working on my 1Z conversion right now I was looking for a starter adapter and that's how I came here ;)
    I've been reading through your blog with interest since then!
    As my student's budget is small I want to do as much as I can on my own. With the help of a friend I would like to CNC mill the adapter. Thank you so far for your drawing, I've got some questions about it:
    1) Is the adapter made for the 2.0kW starters with 10 teeth?
    2) How is it aligned/centered to the gearbox?
    3) Could you send me a step file or something like that?
    Kind regards from Germany,
    Richy

    SvaraRadera
  5. Is there anyway you can share the CAD .STL file on https://grabcad.com/ or email it to me at kjono09@gmail.com?

    SvaraRadera
  6. hallo Steve
    As my student's budget is small I want to do as much as I can on my own. With the help of a friend I would like to CNC mill the adapter. Thank you so far for your drawing please? I've got some questions about it: Is the adapter made for themy motor AAZ? my mail dan@dan-web.cz https://www.facebook.com/VW-T3-Gl%C3%B6ckner-von-Assuan-340631732677944 thank you Daniel

    SvaraRadera