tisdag 6 september 2011

Early brake down

Well, she was running for a couple of days. What a ride! The bus accelerates like my ordinary car and I haven't been flooring the pedal yet.  

Three days with just a few miles driving, then the oil buzzer and oil light goes off. I checked the oil level and the entire volume was gone! No smoke, totally clean engine, not a single trail of oil. Then - I opened the coolant reservoir... 
All the oil is flooding out! 

First I thought "Crap, I need to check the header", but the almighty guys at thesamba.com hinted about the oilcooler which appearantly is prone to cracking. After some googling I think the same. All symptoms leads to a cracked cooler. Oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil. 
What seems to happen is that a crack in the cooler acts like a one way valve, and when the thermostat opens the oil has enough pressure to force itself out to the coolant. 
I really really really hope this is the case, I'm not keen to take the engine out again.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar