tisdag 23 november 2010

MOT means rust fixing

I crawled under the pickup just to check a measurement and thought that the left side inner sill looked a little bit tired. I took a big screw driver and knocked it with the tip and *crack* straight through! Hmm... I hate rust. Need to do the MOT so I decided to fix it the easy way, and never-get-a-problem-with-sills-again way, that means I replaced the sill by double welded 2 mm 50x50 square tubes and 1 mm galvanized sheet.

Of course, when you start cutting there will be more. I ended up replacing pieces of the floor, a part of the torpedo wall, the outer sills, a piece of the wheel house and the vertical beam in front of the rear wheel. I actually ended up booking a new date for the MOT. I have to do an ugly fix for the hatch as well, I had to cut it open as the lock was totally rusted. I'm going to do some glass/carbon fibre parts for the pickup and new hatches are first in the list, so I'm not going to put any energy on these ugly bastards.

I also found out that the bed floor is damaged and that's probably why it has an extra layer of metal sheet on top. Some of the bed outriggers needs to be replaced as well. So the new plan is as following:
As soon we are in the new workshop, I'll cut the bed of totally.
Remove the engine and gearbox.
Replace everything that needs to be fixed, I'll get the material from a company nearby.
Rust protect everything and repaint.
New engine/gearbox in.
Totally new bed floor made out of galvanized sheets.
Burn out!

Oooh, I can't wait to have my workshop at home!!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar